Monday, October 19, 2015

Let's subscribe to any group on Yahoo, Google or any other if you want more endeavours :-)

 
=> Date: 2015-10-16 23:14 GMT+02:00 <=

Jaeson
 
The drive is definitely not aligning with the casing. I have no idea what has happened. I think I need to strip the whole thing down. It could be something to do with the shielding. The bottom screw is not securing properly. Also the card I put in seems to be pressing on the casing. I have had to leave the trap door cover off.
 
I have given me yet more things to do which is fine. I installed AMOS which was a hoot and I have been arranging my folders and icons which I always enjoy. And all this cus the floppy isn’t working properly on the OS3.9 machine.
 
scuzz
 
=> Date: Friday, October 16, 2015 7:44 PM <=

scuzz
 
Is the drive not aligning with the casing?  Sometimes on my towerized A1200, floppies may get stuck because either the eject button or disk isn't perfectly lined up with the openings in the casing.  Maybe the plastic warped a little over the years? 
 
Jaeson

=> Date: Friday, October 16, 2015 2:34 PM <=
 
Hi
 
What a frustrating day. Started with me pilfering a card from one of my other 1200s. Found this nice 8MB RAM, no acceleration though slot for one. Came with a single SIMM on the back. Bit tricky to fit I have to say.
 
Having successfully done this I downloaded a screengrabber from Aminet and set too taking some pics and grabs of the spring cleaned 1200. That’s when things started to go horribly wrong. The machine started to freeze up on me. I even got a yellow screen which I haven’t had before. This machine has been hammered in a previous life. Bits of the shielding are missing and it has all the tabs broken on the back. I decided to swap the machine out.
 
I retrieved a nice machine that I actually know the history of. Trouble is it has a very small hard drive and seriously, just 56K free in Workbench. Anyway I decided to risk my newly formatted hard drive and fingers crossed that wasn’t the problem. The trouble with this laptop drive is that it has no screws in the right position for the A1200 cradle.
 
Swapped out and all was going fine. Then as I was copying some stuff off disks I heard a noise. Next thing I couldn’t get the floppy out of the drive. Back to my other machine and decided to swap out the floppy. Now here is the thing... there is nothing wrong with the floppy. BUT the disk will not eject. The thing will just not sit low enough. I have swapped out drive after drive  but with no joy. It has been so frustrating. I had like three 1200s bust open here and me pulling my hair out. The drive works fine till you close the case... but only on this machine.
 
Anyway... I gave up. If I leave the machine split open at the back it works fine. I put the other drives back in the other 1200s, even the one that is currently fitted, and they all work without fault. I have mucked around with the shielding. Changed the screw positions. Dunno what else to do.
 
Time for tea... Next up I want to install AMOSPro so I can play with some of my old stuff. Bit if an adventure this. Just wanted to get another 1200 running with all my stuff on. Fun thing to do. Sadly the kit is falling over. One of my external floppy drives bit the dust today. I guess there comes a time when its just not going to work anymore. Never mind.
 
scuzz

http://www.users.on.net/~stanners/coffee/coffee.html
=>click on the coffee<= to donate a few dollars to the creator of the Amiga mag =>880 Gamer<=.

4 comments: